Thursday, July 2, 2009

yes...its my Grandfather's world to me

There is a tremendous awareness among people today, towards making this earth cleaner and greener. Thanks to the initiatives taken by individuals, organizations and governments.

‘Greener World’ is going to be a multi part series. I am beginning my first posting by remembering my grandfather and what he did many years ago for safer environment.

He was a retired school clerk. He used to read all the newspapers that he can get his hands on. When he read an article about the harmfulness of polythene bags, he did his research to confirm the claims. From that moment onwards, he started carrying few yellow cloth bags. What ever he bought, he tried to accommodate in those bags. He even made paper bags by himself and encouraged others to follow.


He mentioned few simple reasons.

* Polythene bags are harmful to animals, if they consume these bags.
* Block ‘farming land water canals’.
* Affect quality of Soil.

when he was young, he owned farming land and cattle. He maintained the same affection on nature through out his life.

He used to go everywhere in his bicycle, neglecting our request to take local bus/auto, mentioning he needed exercise and didn’t want to pollute by taking auto. He didn’t oppose any modern developments, but he was concerned about the growing negative impact on environment.

I haven’t really paid much attention on his deeds so far. But I am planning to follow his footsteps and trying to do my part on promoting safe healthier environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment